Saturday, January 30, 2010

The month of ups and downs

October was quite a month. The pregnancy was wonderful. I was feeling good and Mason was moving around a lot! Tom and I loved to sit on the bed at night and feel Mason kicking and stretching inside me. Then came October 14th. I started feeling this excruciating pain in my lower left ribs. I just knew it couldn't be Mason kicking me. I went the doctor's and they diagnosed me with costochondritis, which is an inflammation of the rib or the cartilage connecting a rib (whatever is was...it was painful)! It felt like a knife was being jabbed into my chest, especially when rolling over at night. Well, that was nothing compared to what else was ahead. Immediately after the rib pain, I got an infection in my left eye. This wasn't your run of the mill infection. My eye was very red and painful. It felt like a huge eyelash was in there 24/7. I was literally at the eye doctor's every single day for a week or so. One day, I was there twice! Somehow, I had developed an ulcer which was resisting all medicines. It was growing bigger by the day and the doctor was very concerned it would cause permanent vision loss, or worse yet, a corneal transplant. After switching doctors, getting several biopsies of my eye (yeah...they were pulling pieces of my eye out), I finally got put on the right combination of eye drops to start clearing up the infection. The only bad thing was, I had to be up every hour around the clock putting drops and goop in my eye. Oh, here is the best part...two of the drops I was on cost $80 per bottle (and I had to buy 3 bottles)!!! Anyways, I was on drops, up at night, and in glasses until the end of November!

No comments:

Post a Comment